Forget the crowds and join a raw Cuban escapade with Cuba-specialist journalist Lydia Bell. Enjoying a thoughtfully curated showcase of offbeat culture and adventure over ten days. Start by exploring Havana’s world of specialist guiding – and then go off-piste. Experience a quiet valley skirting Cuba’s most gorgeous colonial town. Take in magical Sagua Grande, the riverine valleys of far-flung Guantanamo, the secret mountain culture of Granma province, and the nightlife of loveable Santiago.
With Cuba Private Travel you will…
- Experience the new-generation private boutique accommodation in Old Havana. While staying in a stunningly renovated colonial mansion renovated by a New York designer
- Discover a world of specialist guide: architects with the keys to dilapidated by enchanted mansions; rumba dancers with a virtuoso talent; curators connected to the private studios of world-class artists; the new private gallerists; anthropologists with deep connections to Afro-Cuban culture
- Be accompanied by the writer Valerie Hemingway, Ernest’s personal assistant and daughter-in-law, to Finca Vigia, his beloved Havana farm.
- Stay in an 1806-built frescoed Hacienda in the middle of the Valle De Los Ingenios, near the Unesco-protected sugar-baron’s town of Trinidad.
- Secondly, visit the obscure, beautiful, once-rich town of Sagua la Grande and the seafood shacks of its atmospheric, abandoned sister port.
- Then, visit the isolated farm where Fidel Castro grew up in the far-flung sugar cane fields of far eastern Cuba.
- Dance to the beat of the congo in Santiago de Cuba. Cuba’s second city, revolutionary to its core and with a raw, Caribbean magic expressed in Afro-Cuban culture, music and dance. Stay in an enchanting private house with a foliage-shrouded garden in the old millionaire’s quarter of the city, Vista Allegre.
- Journey into the Sierra Maestra, where Fidel Castro hid with his rebels before the revolution. Hike the palm-shrouded trails and meet the spiritual mediums that are part of the mountain culture.